Contributing to Sustainable Retail
Our goal is to improve efficiency and inventory management while reducing waste and avoiding GHG emissions. With better data, IoT, and automations solutions, we leverage physical stores to drive local e-commerce and create micro-fulfillment centers to execute online purchases in physical stores.
Powering more sustainable stores for positive social impact
We are committed to making retail more sustainable, with smarter, more efficient technologies that enable more powerful ESG strategies across business practices. Here are some of our sustainable commitments and performance indicator
Avoiding GHG emissions
Greater potential to avoid GHG emissions when using our solutions
Cardboard usage reduction
Per year, due to leveraging efficiencies in packaging when shipping our products
EcoVadis rating 2023
One of the world's most recognized rating providers for sustainability
Recycled ESL in 2022
As part of our responsible consumption and production programming
What does Climate-Conscious Retail look like?
How our solutions work to avoid GHG emissions and decarbonize retail
Ultra-energy-efficient solutions with battery-less IoT in the coming years
Our color e-paper technology for ESLs displays with minimal energy
Our R&D focuses on low-energy systems with more than 40% of our patents related to energy savings topics
Serverless/ infraless solutions avoid any additional infrastructure
We leverage your physical store to create micro-fulfillment centers and potentially avoid building order-picking warehouses
Our technologies are hosted on Microsoft’s Azure cloud, which has committed to powering 100% of its data centers with renewable electricity by 2025
We are committed to decreasing our carbon intensity by 40% by 2027 vs.2022
“Our launch of the Choose Better programme is not only a testament to our commitment to sustainability, it also aligns with our purpose to help customers shop smarter and live better by helping them make healthier, more sustainable shopping choices.”
CMO at Majid Al Futtaim Retail
Reducing food waste
In partnership with Smartway, we developed Smartdetection Flash Evo, an award-winning solution for detecting products with short expiry dates in stores. Flashing labels signal soon-to-be expired products, and in less than 4 minutes, more than 500 products can be checked and discounted, eliminating hours spent in aisles identifying and removing soon-to-be-expired products.
Recycling ESLs and reducing carbon footprint
Our electronic shelf labels are eco-designed to be repaired, reconditioned, and refurbished or recycled. Recycled ESLs are carefully inspected to recover components that can be reused for repairs in “second life” labels. We also decreased the volume of packaging used in the shipment of our products, saving on a yearly basis 156,030 kg of cardboard in 2022 compared to 2021.
Learn how we advance sustainability across our supply chain
To ensure that our supply chain is sustainable, we assess all our supply chain.
FAQ for Positive Commerce and ESG
Turning the physical store into a digital asset. Contribute to the adoption of digital technologies by physical stores and sustain the economic health of the sector.
Reduce the impact of Commerce on the environment, by making the digital transformation of commerce low-carbon and sustainable: aiming to reduce the carbon footprint of our solutions and contribute to reducing that of our customers thanks to the many use cases enabling the avoidance of additional issues.
While aligning itself with the guiding principles of the OECD and the United Nations in terms of human rights, the fight against corruption and compliance with competition law.
E-commerce global growth is expected to grow by 30 to 40% in 5 years, and e-commerce will therefore represent 60% of total retail sales added in the next 5 years. Retail supply chains are responsible for 25% of the world GHG emissions and many retailers have set bold targets towards the net zero race but only a few are on track with an actionable agenda. As a result, physical retail digitalization has an important role to play in the world’s sustainability agenda. Our solutions support putting stores at the heart of retailers’ e-commerce strategy by allowing in-store fulfillment, pickup, and express delivery, avoiding the construction of order-picking warehouses and by:
*Enabling local and low carbon e-commerce
*Reducing food waste
*Influencing responsible consumption at the shelf
*Fostering local-for-local production and consumption
*Enabling end-to-end supply chain transparency
Yes, we measure our GHG emissions Scope 1,2,3 annually in conformance with the GHG accounting protocol and disclose them on a yearly basis through our ESG annual report. Additionally, we disclose our climate-change strategy through the CDP questionnaire. We started the process to submit our GHG emissions targets to SBTi to be aligned with 1.5°C targets of the Paris Agreement.
Yes, we do. For the past three years we have been supporters of the United Nations Global Compact, and our ESG Goals are aligned primarily with the following UN Sustainable Development Goals:
5. Gender equality
8. Decent work and economic growth
9. Industry, innovation, and infrastructure
11. Sustainable cities and communities
12.Responsible consumption and production
– Gigaton Walmart
– NZI4IT by Carbone 4
We joined the group study Net Zero initiative for IT (NZI4IT) in June 2023, which was organized by Carbone4 for understanding the role of digital solutions in the global net zero effort.
Carbone 4 is a leading climate change consultancy supporting the world’s transformation towards decarbonization and climate change adaptation. Acting as a bridge between scientific excellence and the business world, Carbone 4 helps its clients understand the challenges of our changing world. Net Zero Initiative is the very first framework dedicated to the contribution of companies to global net zero. Led by Carbone 4 since 2018, NZI aims to empower businesses to transform their activities towards a net zero economy.
The objectives of this project are:
1. Create a top-level working group of companies, academics, institutions, and experts that are relevant on the topics of IT and climate mitigation.
2. Investigate several topics related to the general question of the role of IT in the global net zero effort, especially the question of avoided emissions, carbon removals and related claims.
3. Publish the outcomes of each area of work, through the production of guidelines and tools that will help all stakeholders understand the role of IT on the global net zero goal and prevent greenwashing.
– We joined the Consumer Goods Forum: The only organization that brings consumer goods retailers and manufacturers together globally. It is a CEO-led organization that helps the world’s retailers and consumer goods manufacturers to collaborate, alongside other key stakeholders, to secure consumer trust and drive positive change, including greater efficiency. With their global reach, CEO leadership, and focus on retailer–manufacturer collaboration, the Consumer goods forum is in a unique position to drive positive change and help address key challenges impacting the industry, including environmental and social sustainability, health, food safety, and product data accuracy.
– Additionally, we are a member of the World Economic Forum‘s Future of Consumption Platform in order to advance, share, and promote knowledge around Positive Commerce. The Forum engages the foremost political, business, cultural, and other leaders of society to shape global, regional, and industry agendas.
– VusionGroup is also part of Perifem. Perifem is working to bring on board all the players in the distribution sector to create a more responsible commercial ecosystem.